Halloween has it’s history in culture and religion but for many children the celebration of Halloween is little more than a day to eat more sweets than usual and to dress up as something fun.
To celebrate Halloween why not practise your English by using an American Halloween recipe. Enjoy!
Halloween Owl Muffins
Makes 24 muffins
For the muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine 2 cups sugar, flour, 1 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Add flour mixture; mix until well-combined. Pour in hot water; stir until batter is smooth. Divide batter evenly among muffin tins.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 12 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack and let cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- Whip 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoon heavy cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold in 1 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese, 7 tablespoons cocoa powder, and 1/4 cup sugar gently to make frosting.
- Spread 1 tablespoon frosting over each cooled cupcake.
- Twist chocolate sandwich cookies open, leaving all cream filling on 1 side. Place 2 cookies, cream filling-side up, on each cupcake to make owl eyes. Place a brown milk chocolate piece on each cookie to create pupils. Insert an orange or yellow milk chocolate piece in the center to make a beak.